November 12, 2012

Clemson Homecoming


Saturday morning Coach and I loaded the boys in the car and took them to the Clemson Homecoming game. The boys hadn't been to a Clemson football game before and I could not have been more excited to take them.  I know you're wondering why they hadn't been before and I will tell you.  The thought of schlepping 2 toddlers, a stroller, a diaper bag and/or any of the gear required for wee ones to a ball game makes me PIMMAL.  Frankly I was delighted that the only thing I had to carry was my crossbody bag with lip gloss and 2 Sweetwater 420s.  Yeah, I double fisted through campus, judge away. 
 I wasn't pushing a double stroller though, so I win. 

We parked at the corner of East Bumble and West Jesus, past what Clemson folks call Syberia, up at the Rowing Center.  But thanks to hopeful lip glossing and possibly some flirting, we managed a golf cart ride.  Which was perfect, because our boots, while sassy, were not made for walking in gravel.


 Indeed, we did have grown up boys with us, but I hesistate to post the pics we took with them without permission.  You know, boys get all wacky about their mugs being on these girly "blog things", and besides, we are exponentially prettier than they are anyway. 

I am happy to report my discovery that Bud Light comes IN ORANGE CANS.  I opened a cooler and about fell out. Obvs I don't drink beer from a can, (I am not a Neanderthal, don't worry mom) but that sticking out of my monogrammed koozie might push me over the edge of Clemson happiness.  The kids played cornhole, which they are pretty good at, thanks to a year spent at Miami of Ohio, the home of all things cornhole related.


We walked without the boys over to the Quad, where our sorority hall now is. It was a far cry from what we experienced, sitting in the lobby waiting to be picked up for a football game.  It was cordoned off and a band was playing. We asked a couple of Thetas to take us into the house and into the chapter room.  Of course, I told them the story about me sitting on the glass top table in the old chapter room circa 1995 having been slightly overserved and breaking said table.  We found the composites with all of our pics and generally relived those days.  It was perfect!


Jack and I had seats together and he was kind enough to explain every single play to me.  I was genuinely surprised at how much he knew.  By the end of the 2nd quarter, I could even tell you what was happening.  If by "happening" you mean which team had the ball and which direction they were going. 
Baby steps my friends, baby steps. 


Couldn't pass up on pics of the boys in thier gear with the Tiger Cub.  Frankly, I'd like this on my porch, but that'd probably be a bit much.  Maybe in my next life...

Sunday morning we were exhausted, I slept in and we opted for noon Mass.  Can't you see the residual Clemson elation on our faces?  The great news is that basketball just started, and I know basketball.

Hold on while I pull up the schedule and plan our next trip...

5 comments:

Erin @ Sassin' Southern Style said...

I am glad to hear that after going to a big football school yourself, that you too, knew very little (before Jack's help, of course) of the rules of football. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. :)

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I'm pretty sure that your boys probably think you are the coolest Mom EVER for taking them up their to this.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

*there. AHEM.

Leslie said...

What a great time!

Ashley said...

Cute pics! Congrats on "mom"-ing up and taking them. ;-)